best of '06 mix
I've been doing this for 3 years now. It's 2 disks; there's always at least 4 or 5 songs I'd like to have on there that get cut for space, generally from bands that, if you don't like them already (this year the cuts included Beck and Portastatic), you're not going to by this point. I'm doing the liners online this year; if there's any readers I'm unaware of who aren't already signed up for this, let me know and I might make extras. But I'm not egotistical enough to assume people will take me up on this. Notes as needed; otherwise, plow through the back issues of this blog for album appraisals, minus a few that are TK. 2006 basically over at this point, chronology notwithstanding. Incredibly geeky album listing also TK.
1. "3 A.M." Young Jeezy ft. Timbaland (Thug Motivation 102: The Inspiration)
I haven't listened to the whole album yet, though I intend to, but this is really here to represent Timbaland, who's had a fantastic year. Not that "Promiscuous Girl" isn't great, but this songs needs to be more widely heard.
2. "Hold On, Hold On" Neko Case (Fox Confessor Brings The Flood)
3. "You Have Killed Me" Morrissey (Ringleader Of The Tormentors)
4. "Heart In A Cage" The Strokes (First Impressions Of Earth)
5. "At The End Of The Sky" Darkel (Darkel)
6. "Queen Of The Rummage Sale" Bishop Allen (February EP)
This is part of a project releasing a 4-song EP every month; cumulatively, it's some of the best stuff of the year. More TK.
7. "Rally" Phoenix (It's Never Been Like That)
8. "Me & U" Cassie (Cassie)
Great single; never heard or even acquired the album. Why bother, seriously.
9. "As I Sit Down To Play The Organ" Sparks (Hello Young Lovers)
10. "Jimmy Robertello" Creeper Lagoon (Long Dry Cold)
11. "Benton Harbor Blues Again" The Fiery Furnaces (Bitter Tea)
12. "Leave Me Alone" Ellen Allien & Apparat (Orchestra Of Bubbles)
13. "Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" Camera Obscura (Let's Get Out Of This Country)
14. "Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above" Cansei De Ser Sexy (Cansei De Ser Sexy)
Same comment as #8.
15. "I'm Talkin' To You" T.I. (King)
16. "Needle In The Hay" Eric Matthews (To Elliott, From Portland)
17. "Van Helsing Boombox" Man Man (Six Demon Bag)
18. "Porcupine Or Pineapple" Brakes (The Beatific Visions)
Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I love these guys and needed a short song to use as much available disk space as possible. So. I'm sure this new album is fine.
19. "Running the World" Jarvis Cocker (Jarvis)
20. "Count Grassi's Passage Over Piemont" The Divine Comedy (Victory For The Comic Muse)
21. "Louisiana" The Walkmen (A Hundred Miles Off)
1. "Another Sunny Day" Belle & Sebastian (The Life Pursuit)
2. "When You Wasn't Famous" The Streets (The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living)
3. "Howlin' A Gale" Howe Gelb ('Sno Angel Like You)
4. "The Funeral" Band Of Horses (Everything All The Time)
5. "To Go Home" M. Ward (Post-War)
6. "Ride Around Shining" Cliipse ft. Ab-Liva (Hell Hath No Fury)
7. "The Book I Write" Spoon (Stranger Than Fiction sdtrk)
8. "Postcards From Italy" Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)
9. "In This Camp" Midlake (The Trials Of Van Occupanther)
Comments on this album TK.
10. "A Method" TV On The Radio (Return To Cookie Mountain)
11. "Wai" Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (The Letting Go)
12. "What Does T.S. Eliot Know About You?" East River Pipe (What Are You On?)
13. "Smash Your Head" Girl Talk (Night Ripper)
14. "Devil's Pie" Rhymefest (Blue Collar)
15. "Trains To Brazil" Guillemots (Through The Windowpane)
16. "Count Souvenirs" Junior Boys (So This Is Goodbye)
17. "Doctor Blind" Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton (Knives Don't Have Your Back)
18. "Be Easy" Ghostface Killah ft. Trife Da God (Fishscale)
19. "On The Radio" The Concretes (In Colour)
20. "Rise Up In The Dirt" Voxtrot (Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives EP)